49 HALLMARKS OF OMAN
On the occasion of Oman’s 49th National Day, seven professionals from seven different walks of life in Oman point out seven attributes each which give the sultanate its unique, endearing status in the world. These are the 49 hallmarks of Oman:
Path of pride
The journey towards success was never an easy one but the way forward is the real challenge, says Hatim Abdissalaam, motivational speaker and life coach
Every nation has its own special traditions that are cherished and, in Oman, we grew up with the tradition of celebrating National Day which is unique and worth mentioning. As young children, we never knew the real value of this day; to us, it was just another happy day away from the long school hours. With maturity, we came to realise that during the past few years, a lot has been done which has to be recognised.
National Day celebrations come every year to remind us of the progress Oman has made and to give us an opportunity to do more in upcoming years. Success can come in various forms and many nations succeed in one or two areas only. However, when we look at the journey of Oman, we take pride in a long list of achievements that couldn’t have been possible if it wasn’t for the grace of Almighty God on us, the wisdom of His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said, and the hard work, dedication and loyalty of the citizens.
Oman has prospered and excelled in many areas, but if we are to narrow them down to just three, then they would definitely be: wiping out illiteracy, establishing a world class healthcare infrastructure and being a pioneer in political stability.
It is important to learn from the experiences of our forefathers on how they were able to reach their goals and transform a barren land with very limited resources and education opportunities into a modern state that plays a vital political role in the international arena.
His Majesty the Sultan had a vision for Oman, and part of his vision was to develop the citizens of Oman through modern healthcare, a solid education system and a ‘peace’ strategy in the region. The people of Oman believed in this vision and worked sincerely with His Majesty the Sultan to make the dream a reality. While other nations are still struggling today in accepting differences, Oman thrives and exports tolerance and coexistence to the rest of the world.
There is no doubt that the journey towards success was never an easy journey but the way forward is the real challenge where we need to sustain what we achieved in the past few decades. It is our responsibility to honour the efforts of His Majesty the Sultan and those who sacrificed their lives to build the Oman we see today, by working hard and making sure that, whatever happens in the world, it should never change us, especially in our ethical beliefs and traditions.
We can develop ourselves in many different areas and become a leading modern state but this should not restrict us from continuing our message of peace to the world. Many out there never knew Oman or maybe knew very little about us, but recently the sultanate was on the map and nations looked up at our country and recognised the many efforts for peace that are done behind the scenes.
Next year, the 50th National Day will elevate us as a nation and align us with other leading nations. The road is to be paved for the coming generations to strive and be pioneers in development and prosperity. The entire world will surely look up to a nation like Oman if we can prove that we are mature and are ready to take up any challenges that the future withholds.
It makes us proud to be citizens of Oman and to live under the wise leadership of His Majesty the Sultan. May Almighty God give His Majesty the Sultan health and prosperity and more development for the people of Oman.
7 aspects of sports in Oman
There is much untapped potential in Oman which we will see in the near future as children learn the value of sports and opportunities in and around sports –
H H Sayyid Khalid al Busaidi
Chairman, Oman Olympic Committee
1.Professionalism: Professionalism is one of the main pillars of sports and will lead the way forward for better international performance. After the introduction of the Oman Professional League by the Oman Football Association, positive results came about very quickly.
7 aspects about the business climate in Oman
Oman’s strategic location, political stability, modern infrastructure and friendly business environment are set to make it an international hub –
Anvwar Al Balushi
Chairman, Anvwar Asian Investment
7 factors that keep Oman peaceful and politically stable
There are a number of interconnected factors that have made Oman a politically stable and a peaceful country. Here are seven factors –
Dr Nabeel al Rawahy
Head of Department, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, SQU
7. Geography: Geographical location is another factor Oman has been blessed with. Its location has made Oman interact with different civilisations and people which has significantly impacted how Omanis view the importance of interaction and coexistence not only for survival but also for prosperity. The long history of trade and relationships with different civilisations has made Omanis develop stronger awareness of their identity and alsocontributed to their tolerance of others which all contributed to the peace and stability Oman is known of.
7 aspects of the field of medicine
Dr Amira Abdul Mohsin Saleh al Raidan
Head of Mental Health Section, Department of Non-Communicable Diseases, Ministry of Health
2. Empowerment of Omani doctors: His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said encouraged Omanis to take part in the development process and in the responsibilities towards better health services in Oman.
3. Growth of health services: I’m proud to be part of it where I see access of services all over Oman through primary health care centres, polyclinics and specialised care in hospitals.
4. Equal opportunities: Equal opportunities for both men and women in Oman is part of building the capacity of the workforce in the country.
5. Innovations in surgical interventions: This has enabled Oman to be a pioneer in the field of medicine among other countries.
6. Research and strategic planning: This has helped address the challenges in the field of medicine in Oman and work towards improving the quality of services.
7Professionalism and leadership: Professionalism and leadership taken up by Omani doctors has brought recognition to Oman internationally to be one of the well known countries. The field of medicine taught me to be a leader in my field and take part in decision making for the better future of Oman.
7 aspects about IT in Oman
Tariq al Barwani
Founder, Knowledge Oman
2. e-Government platform: We have efficient, improved and, indeed, better access to public services around the clock, thanks to e-government technologies.
3. International training locally: You no longer require to travel to get specialised emerging technical training due to various certified local centres with partnership to international agencies.
4. Security systems: Special entities with processes in place are focused on sharing (as awareness) programmes and combatting external cyber threats.
5. Technology hubs: Hubs and platforms specifically created to provide space and/or funds for technology projects to start, grow and flourish.
6Technology embedded in schools: Many schools incorporate and use technology to educate students which, as a consequence, builds future-ready technology experts.
7Savvy e-citizens: Whether it’s a child, parent or even a granny, technology is no longer a black box. Everyone knows, is influenced to some extent, and uses technology to work, communicate and collaborate, too.
7 bright sides about adventure in Oman
I have been on numerous adventures in Oman and in other countries and I can confidently say that adventure in Oman has many benefits. Here are seven main aspects of adventure:
Ahmed Harib al Mahrouqi
SQU researcher and adventurer
2. Time management: Adventure is a leisure activity but it is very important to manage your time efficiently. One needs to set goals, draw up plans and strategies and work them within set deadlines. It, therefore teaches one to value every second of each day and to make the most of it.
3. Knowledge of the country: Adventure in Oman is a good way of getting to know the country. One learns the names and characteristics of different wadis, villages, jebels, etc and get close to varied terrain and people. Adventure in Oman’s desert needs one to carry supplies of water, which is not necessary elsewhere.
4. Fitness: For adventure, one needs to be fit, physically and mentally. Some tasks require physical strength and some require mental resilience. It also improves one’s overall fitness and endurance quotient.
5. Socialising: Taking up adventure in Oman is a good way of socialising and meeting people. It is also a means to understand the lifestyle and mindset of the local populace.
6. Cultural exchanges: Adventure is a means of cultural exchange. In Oman, people of different cultural backgrounds come together to explore not just the sultanate but also to hear about the experiences of people of other cultures. I have myself learnt a lot by interacting with people from around the world who wish to explore Oman.
7. Problem-solving: Lastly, adventure teaches you to meet challenges and to overcome them. Unlike life in the city, one cannot evade or escape from problems while exploring Oman. You need to confront each challenge and solve it in order to move on.